25 January 2009

She's A 30 year old Doll

"Thirty was so strange for me. I've really had to come to terms with the fact that I am now a walking and talking adult.”
C.S. Lewis (British Scholar and Novelist. 1898-1963)

Many of us cringe at the prospect of turning thirty. It's one of the first times that we really assess where our lives are at or more importantly where we had expected it to be. That's when the disappointment usually sets in and we get depressed! Thirty for me was quite exhilarating, it was the first age where I really felt like a woman. A woman whom had been through enough to base decisions on experience, knowledge and instinct. The beginning of truly being an adult.

My lovely NS sister-in-law Dolly turned 30 this week and tonight we joined her as she celebrated her big day in true Japanese Karaoke style. We took over the main room of a quaint, warm and friendly restaurant on the edge of the West-end called Ribon. There we were served exquisite Japanese cuisine and equipped with a large screen TV Karaoke Machine, two microphones and a catalogue of thousands of tracks, we sang the night away.


I could sense a more mature, womanly Dolly emerging. She shone in the glory of her big night and made it a fabulous evening for all, but most of all for her beautiful ten year daughter, Kenya, who throughout the evening looked at her and spoke of her with immense pride.

We all had a great time and there were certainly many memorable performances both good and bad!!! I found myself discovering my inner songstress - she's a bit of a diva, especially after a few glasses of champagne! Even Kamaal, who had shyly announced that he would be Simon Cowell and just watch, was indulging in a spot of 'ABC' three tracks later!

Just the three of us...

HAPPY 30th BIRTHDAY DOLL, WELCOME TO WOMANHOOD XX

No comments: